Monday, March 31, 2008

A Different Sort of Child



Evie is about to be 2 months old. My how time flies. She is just the sweetest baby and I absolutely adore her. Since it has been so long since I have had a baby, I have a hard time remembering what goes on with babies at different ages and stages. Also the only comparison I have for anything is what Kaileen did as a baby. The problem with that is they are very different children. Kaileen was colicky for the first 3 months, Evie does not have colic. Kaileen never had a problem with sleeping in her cradle or swing. Evie hates to sleep anywhere but in someones arms. (she really could care less who it is as long as someone is holding her darn it!) Kaileen transitioned seamlessly between breast and bottles of formula. Evie hates bottles and pacifiers. She prefers flesh, namely the boob. I weaned Kaileen at 3 months and had planned to do the same for Evie. Methinks Evie has different plans. Evie is generally a laid back easy going baby while Kaileen was always a little more intense. For example, in order to suction Kaileen's nose as a baby it took two people to get the job done. One to hold her still while she screamed and one to suction. I can suction Evie asleep or awake and she doesn't care or even really notice.
So instead of feeling like an experienced second time mom I feel like I am flying blind here and everything is new. What worked for the first one isn't working for the second one. I love how different Evie is though, not only in looks but in personality from Kaileen. I think that is one of the coolest things about having multiple children, seeing how different they are from each other, or how similar. In this case, however, all my previous experience is kind of useless and poor Evie will have to go through the process of trial and error till I find what works. And of course as soon as I find something that works...she will develop into a new stage and it won't work anymore! Hang in there baby, mommy will figure it out before you are twenty. (I hope!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evie is beautiful, and I can't believe she is almost 2 months.

She was such a good girl when she came to visit Jimi over the weekend. Enjoy this time, they grow up so fast... as you already know!

Jen